Our newest bundle of joy – John C. Donovan, IV (Birth story to follow, so skip this if you don’t like reading this kind of thing)!






Well, this little booger decided he wanted to stay incubated as long as possible! I was due on April 1. I was hoping that I could avoid having him on that particular day anyway, but I’d thought maybe he’d come early or maybe only be a day or so late. Not the case this time around. My doctor wouldn’t let me go past 41 weeks, so I scheduled an induction to begin on the night of April 8. I really do wish I’d not had to do that, but it is what it is. My mom came down to stay with the kiddos while the hubs and I drove over to the hospital to start the induction. I’ve had Pitocin as a supplement to labor before, but I’d never actually been induced, so this was a new thing for me. We got to the hospital around 10:30 pm and after getting settled in the room and finishing paperwork, I got my first dose of Cytotec a little after midnight. I really wish I’d taken a good, long nap that day because I didn’t realize I’d get NO sleep. The first dose wasn’t too bad. I did have contractions, but they were bearable. I think I was around 1 cm when I went to the hospital, but had no other progress like effacement or anything. [[Sidenote: That was pretty discouraging because I’d been drinking red raspberry leaf tea and taking evening primrose oil and doing other things that would aid in cervical changes for a number of weeks prior to he induction date. I guess I won’t worry with those things if we decide to have another, because they didn’t help with anything.]] By the time they came to give me the 2nd dose of Cytotec, I’d progressed to 2-3 cm and had thinned out a bit and baby had dropped some. I got moved into an LDRP shortly after 7 the next morning (Apr. 9) and when my doctor came to check me, I was about 4 cm and had thinned some more. They broke my water (another weird thing for me since my water broke on its own for my first 3 kids) and it had a green tinge from meconium. That proved he’d been in there too long. Most babies don’t have a bowel movement until after they are born. If they have one in utero, it usually means that they are overdue and should really have already been born. So, they had to be prepared to suction him out really good. After they broke my water, they started the Pitocin drip. I asked for the epidural because Pitocin is no joke. I know some people don’t get affected as much, but it makes me sick feeling. I got the epi around 9-10 in the morning. I was 5-6 cm when they checked me at 11. They checked me again before noon and I was 10 cm and ready to get going. They had me do some practice pushes before the doctor got there. When she got all ready to go and it was time, it only took 2 real pushes and he came right on out. He weighed 7 lbs 15 oz and was 21.5 inches long. I was surprised that he didn’t weigh more since he was a whole 8 days late. I was able to do some skin to skin with him right after he was born and I can guaranteed that it is why he is such a good nurser. He’s been the best of them so far. There are days when he nurses a lot or sometimes gets distracted easily, but he eats like clockwork, every 2-3 hours. Occasionally, he’ll go a little longer, but that’s his normal routine right now. He turned 2 months old last week and goes for his 2 month check up tomorrow. It’s been a joy to have him here and I am, once again, amazed at how quickly the time has flown by.

Anyway, that’s the baby update!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s